History of the River Aux
The River Aux Sables Chapter’s first official
meeting was held on October 10, 1974, at Tawas City, Michigan. The previous summer
was a busy time for Marilyn M. Zeder, past Michigan
State Regent, along with Roxanne Kenyon and Iva Haley
as they looked for women who wanted to become members of this new chapter.
While waiting for the acceptance of the twelfth and thirteenth members that
summer, discussions were held on the selection for an appropriate chapter name
which could be documented prior to 1825. Records showed that in
1823, a claim to land situated on the “River Aux Sables” or Ojibway
for Sandy River,
was entered by Louis Chevalier. At that time, the American Fur
Company maintained a post near the mouth of the river. Chevalier was
a trapper and traded furs for Joseph Campau. The
name, River Aux Sables, was a fitting choice because the river meanders through
most of the counties that comprise the residences of our membership.
Marilyn M. Zeder was
installed as the first Regent of the newly formed River Aux Sables Chapter on October 10, 1974. Fourteen ladies were founding members of our
The content contained herein does not necessarily represent the position of the NSDAR.
Hyperlinks to other sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations,
or individual DAR chapters.